Western’s Mountain Sports Program Presents:
The Annual High School Cross-Country
Mountain Bike Racing Camp August 2-6, 2017
August 2-6 2017: Registration for our Mountain Bike Camp will open Wednesday, April 5th at 8 PM. Register Here. We are looking forward to another year of fun riding and improvement. To be on our email list announcing future camps and details or if you have questions, please email Mountain Sports Director of Operations, Greg Chase: email@example.com.
- 2016 Photos from the Skills and Drills Afternoon on Western’s Campus
- 2016 Photos from our Day of Riding at the Hartman Rocks Area
2017 Camp Details
The price of the 2017 camp will be $600. Thanks for looking into Western State Colorado University and our camp!
The camp takes place in Gunnison, Crested Butte and the surrounding areas of the beautiful upper Gunnison River Valley. Here’s a short video from the 2015 camp:
2016 Coaching Lineup (2017 Lineup TBD but were working towards similar):
- Andy Shabo – ride skills specialist.
- Bryan Dillon – Team Topeak Ergon pro; Gunnison High School and Western Mountain Sports XC MTB coach.
- Caleb Woodworth – Western alumni MTB racer and current MTB and ski coach
- Dave Wiens – Director of Advancement for Western’s Mountain Sports program and Team Topeak Ergon rider.
- Eddy Cohn – Gravity MTB coach Western State Colorado University Mountain Sports
- Jari Kirkland – all around mountain sports athlete including pro mountain biker, skimo racer, triathlete and adventure racer.
- Jenny Smith – Pro mountain biker and Western Alumni. Currently rides for Stan’s No Tubes Elite Women’s team.
- Current and former Western Mountain Sports MTB athletes, Angela Vitulli, Daniel Frentzel, Justin Barr and Sean O’Donnell.
Also making appearances: Heidi Shabo, ride skills specialist, Ellie Atkins, Western MTB alumni, and Susan DeMattei, 1996 Olympic Bronze medalist in mountain biking.
Western State Colorado University Mountain Sports is pleased to announce our 2017 High School Cross-Country Mountain Bike Camp. This year’s camp will begin with check-in from noon to 2pm on Wednesday August 2nd. Check out will be Sunday morning, August 6th.
The cost of the camp includes everything except transportation to Gunnison. Lodging and meals will be provided on campus at Western State Colorado University. Please let us know of any dieteary needs.
Riding safely at all times will be an omnipresent theme during this camp.
Highlights of the camp will include a full day riding the trails of Crested Butte Mountain Resort and working on our descending skills. We will be using the chairlift for uphill access, which will allow us to rack up the miles and vertical feet of descending without racking up the requisite fatigue that would come with pedaling our bikes up for each lap. Repetition, repetition, repetition. This will take place on Thursday, the first full day of the camp, which will allow us to apply the skills learned for the remainder of the camp. NOTE: THIS IS NOT A DOWNHILL OR GRAVITY CAMP. Cross-country skills are the focus, even on the lift assisted day.
We will also ride the world class trails of the Hartman Rocks area right outside of Gunnison, the Western State Colorado University trail system that is adjacent to Western’s campus, and an epic high country ride, all the while, working on technique, skills, strategies, etc. Again, riding safely at all times will be an omnipresent theme. For 2017, our backcountry day will be on trails in the Brush Creek area including Teocali Ridge, Strand Hill and Ferris Creek. Regardless of the trail, Saturday’s epic, high country ride will be an unforgettable experience.
There will be free time and organized non-bike fun time, but also evening discussions about training and nutrition, bike maintenance, repair and technology, racing preparation and strategy, etc. Notebooks and pen or pencils will be required to take notes. Each camper will also receive a basic bike fit the first afternoon of the camp.
Parents are invited to the final evening banquet and we hope to have Matt Clark back on the hook to produce another great video.
For questions or for more information, contact Western’s Director of Mountain Sports – Operations, Greg Chase, anytime: